Crispy Honey Chilli Chicken is a super addictive starter - fried chicken pieces are tossed in a delicious honey chilli sauce. You can make this Chinese takeaway-style honey chilli chicken with simple ingredients at home
Honey chilli chicken is a popular starter in Chinese restaurants and takeaways. Today I am sharing my version of making this fried chicken with honey chilli sauce and sesame seeds.
If you love this recipe, then you are going to love Masala lamb chops, Chicken pakora and Chicken ghee roast
Why you’ll love this crispy chilli chicken?
- It is easy to make and delicious!
- It is also gluten-free
- Easily can adjust the spice level
Ingredients you'll need to marinate the chicken pieces
Chicken: I have used chicken breasts but boneless chicken thighs or chicken fillets can be used
Sauce: dark soy sauce is used
Dry spices: Red chilli powder, salt and black pepper powder
Flour: Rice flour and corn flour (corn starch)
Ginger garlic paste: Homemade paste is used
Egg: Large egg is used
To make honey chilli sauce:
Sauces: Light soya sauce, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce and red chilli sauce are used
Honey: organic honey is used but regular honey can be used as well
To make slurry
Corn flour and water have been used
Other ingredients needed:
Oil for deep frying
Sesame seeds -I have used white sesame seeds
Spring onions – for serving(garnishing)
For the details of the exact quantities of each ingredient, check the recipe card below
How to make honey chilli chicken: Step by step
Cut the chicken into small bite-size pieces and add to a mixing bowl
Add cornflour, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, egg, and salt to the chicken pieces. Coat the pieces nicely with the masalas and keep them aside
Into a small mixing bowl, add all the ingredients mentioned above to make the sauce. Mix well and keep aside
Heat a frying pan with oil for deep frying and slowly drop chicken pieces into the hot oil - Don't overcrowd the pan.
Deep fry the pieces on medium-high heat until they turn crispy and golden brown.
Then, take them into a plate lined with a kitchen towel and keep them aside
Heat another pan with a tablespoon of oil add chopped garlic and saute for a few minutes.
Now add the already prepared sauce and mix well.
Into a small mixing bowl, add corn flour and 4 tablespoons of water and make a lump-free slurry.
Now reduce the heat to low, and slowly add the slurry mixture to the pan and mix well for 2-3 minutes.
Add the fried chicken pieces, coat nicely with sauce, and cook for a few minutes.
Finally, add tossed sesame seeds and chopped spring onions and switch off the heat.
You can follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram, for up to date or subscribe to my Youtube channel. Then don’t forget to subscribe to my blog to get new recipes right into your inbox for free.
- Red chilli sauce - instead of red chilli sauce, you can use sriracha sauce
- Vegetarian - the chicken can be replaced with cauliflower florets or with a favourite veggie to make this vegetarian
For Dry version: For the dry version sauté the chopped garlic in oil and add fried chicken pieces to it and fry for 2-3 minutes. Garnish with tossed sesame seeds and spring onions
Serve crispy honey chicken as a starter/snack with rose milk, rose mojito and watermelon lemonade
Enjoy as side dish with rice varieties such as bagara rice, coconut milk pulao, kuska rice and with vegetable biryani
This chicken starter tastes best when it's hot and fresh. But it stays good for 2-3 days if stored properly in an air-tight box in the fridge.
Reheat them in a frying pan for 3-5 minutes or until they are crispy
Yes, you can use plain flour but the crispness will be less. Suggest using corn starch for extra crunchiness
No, it's mild and you can easily adjust the sauces and the remaining spices according to your taste
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with fried chilli chicken:
Honey Chilli Chicken Recipe
- Mixing bowl
- Frying Pan
To marinate chicken
- 250 grams Chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon Dark soya sauce
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon Ginger garlic paste
- 4 tablespoon Rice flour
- 4 tablespoon Corn flour
- 1 Egg large
- Salt to taste
To make honey chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoon Light soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon Rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon Red chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon Honey organic
To make slurry
- 1 tablespoon Corn flour
- ¼ cup Water
- sunflower oil deep frying
- Sesame seeds optional
- 2 tablespoon Spring onions chopped for garnishing
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- Cut the chicken into small bite-size pieces and add to a large bowl
- Add cornflour, red chilli powder, black pepper powder and salt. Mix well. Crack an egg and add to the chicken pieces and coat the pieces nicely with the maslas and keep them aside
- Into a small mixing bowl, add light soy sauce,rice vinegar,hoisin sauce and honey.Mix well and keep aside
- Heat a frying pan with oil on medium heat for deep frying. Slowly drop chicken pieces into the hot oil - Don't overcrowd the pan.
- Deep fry the pieces on medium-high heat until they turn crispy and golden brown.
- Then, take them into a plate lined with a kitchen towel and keep them aside
- Heat another pan with a tablespoon of oil add chopped garlic and saute for a few minutes.
- Now add the already prepared sauce and mix well.
- Into a small mixing bowl, add corn flour and 4 tablespoons of water and make a lump-free slurry.
- Now reduce the heat to low, and slowly add the slurry mixture to the pan and mix well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fried chicken pieces, coat nicely with sauce, and cook for a few minutes.
- Finally, add sesame seeds and chopped spring onions and switch off the heat.
Do you love this recipe? If you’ve tried this and liked it, then I love to hear from you all. Give a star rating and let me know in the comments below. Also, tag me in your creations on Instagram @pavaniskitchen as I'd love to see your pictures. Don't forget to use #pavaniskitchen
Leave a Reply