Veg fried rice is a delicious and popular Indo-Chinese dish made with rice, vegetables and spices. It is a quick and easy dish to make and can be served as a main meal or as a side dish.
About the recipe
Vegetable fried rice is a simple recipe that will quickly become one of your favourite meals. It’s one of my favourite recipes because it’s easy to make, doesn’t take long to cook, is inexpensive and absolutely delicious. When you’re on a budget or trying to be healthy, fried rice makes a great meal at home or even when you want to go out for Chinese food. This recipe makes enough for four people; however, you can easily scale it up by doubling or tripling as needed. We usually enjoy this rice with Honey chilli cauliflower
Ingredients to make veg fried rice
Rice: Basmati rice or jasmine rice works best
Vegetables: carrots, french beans, mixed bell peppers(capsicum), garlic and spring onions.
Oil: I used sunflower oil. Feel free to use any neutral flavoured oil.
Condiments: Soya sauce and rice vinegar
Spices: Black pepper powder and salt
For the details of the exact quantities of each ingredient, check the recipe card below
A short of making veg fried rice
You can follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, for up to date or subscribe to my Youtube channel. Then don’t forget to subscribe to my blog to get new recipes right into your inbox for free.
How to make vegetable fried rice: Step by step
Heat a wok or pan and add oil once it is hot enough. Then add chopped garlic and saute for a few minutes.
Now add chopped carrot, french beans, capsicum and half of the spring onions.
Fry on a high flame for 2-3 minutes without burning the veggies.
Add 1 teaspoon of light soya sauce
Add the cooked basmati rice and mix well
Add 1tbsp of dark soya sauce and mix well.
Now add rice vinegar
after that add black pepper and mix well without breaking the rice.
Finally, add the remaining chopped spring onions and switch off the flame and enjoy!
You serve this delicious fried rice with Chilli garlic paneer and Gobi Manchurian
To make it gluten-free use Tamari sauce instead of soya sauce
Since it is vegetarian, I have added only mixed veggies but you can add beaten eggs or shredded chicken pieces to the rice.
To make the best-fried rice, use a wok if you have one.
Once it is cooled completely, store the fried rice in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge - this stays good for 2-3 days.
Reheat thoroughly before serving.
To prevent your rice from becoming sticky, cook rice al dente, then cool it thoroughly before using it.
Cooked and cold rice always works best. Cook on high heat and you need to use a good amount of oil. This will help to prevent the rice from sticking to the pan and getting mushy. The secret to fried rice is a Chinese wok.
Basmati rice or medium-grain rice like jasmine rice works best.
- Use a variety of vegetables to make your fried rice – the more colourful, the better!
- Be sure to chop your vegetables into small pieces so that they cook evenly.
- Use good quality rice – I recommend basmati or jasmine rice.
- Cook the rice in advance so that it is nice and dry – this will help to prevent it from becoming mushy.
If you enjoyed this fried rice recipe, you may also like
Veg Fried Rice Recipe
1 Cup = 240ml ; 1 Tablespoon = 15ml ; 1 Teaspoon = 5ml
- 2 Cups Cooked basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon Garlic pods chopped
- 2-3 tablespoon Oil sunflower or any neutral oil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper coarsely crushed
- 1 teaspoon Light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp Dark soya sauce or tamari, adjust to your taste
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup Carrots chopped finely
- ¼ cup French beans 4 to 5 beans chopped finely
- ¼ cup Bell Peppers Capsicum, chopped finely
- ¼ cup Spring onions chopped finely
- Heat a wok or pan, add oil once it is hot enough add chopped garlic and saute for few minutes.
- Now add chopped carrot, french beans, capsicum and half of the spring onions and fry on high flame for 2-3 minutes without burning the veggies.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of light soya sauce,and combine well.
- Add the pre-cooked rice and mix well without breaking the grains.
- Now add dark soya sauce,rice vinegar,black pepper powder and salt according to your taste and mix well.
- Finally, add the remaining spring onions and switch off the flame.
Do you love this recipe? If you’ve tried this and liked it, then I love to hear from you all. Give a star rating and let me know in the comments below. Also, tag me in your creations on Instagram @pavaniskitchen as I'd love to see your pictures. Don't forget to use #pavaniskitchen
Leave a Reply