Sweet Potato Patties - healthy and delicious patties that are crispy from the outside and soft from the inside. These are made with boiled sweet potatoes, a few spices and herbs. The best part is these are vegan and easy to make. You can enjoy it as a snack with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
If you like snacks that are easy to make, then here are my few favourites recipes that you can enjoy with tomato ketchup or with your favourite chutney Channa Dal Fritters, Courgette Fritters, Aloo Tikki and Besan Pakora
Here's a list of ingredients you'll need to make these patties
- Sweet Potatoes - boiled until they are just soft
- Dry spices - cumin powder, black pepper powder, mixed herbs
- Corn flour - for making the slurry
- Roasted peanuts - crushed and used
- Gram flour - used as a binding agent
- Bread crumbs - Here I have used vegan bread crumbs
- Herbs - garlic and coriander leaves
- Salt and oil for shallow frying
For the details of the exact quantities of each ingredient, check the recipe card below
A short video of the recipe
You can follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram, for up to date or subscribe to my Youtube channel. Then don’t forget to subscribe to my blog to get new recipes right into your inbox for free.
How to make sweet potato patties: Step by step
Into a bowl, add the cooled potatoes and mash them using a masher.
Now add chopped garlic, mixed herbs, cumin powder, black pepper powder and the required salt. Mix well.
Add gram flour/besan in small batches and mix thoroughly without any lumps. Then add roughly crushed roasted peanuts and mix well.
Now add half of the bread crumbs and mix well. Cover and keep the mixture in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
Add corn flour into a small mixing bowl and add the required water to make a smooth slurry.
Grease your palms with oil and divide the mixture into equal parts and make it big or small as per your taste. Shape them by flattening them in between your palms.
Dip the shaped disc into the cornflour slurry and then roll it in the remaining bread crumbs. Keep aside on a plate.
Heat a pan with 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil for shallow frying. Before adding the patties to the pan make sure the oil is hot enough.
Carefully add the patties to the pan and fry them on medium flame until they turn golden colour on both sides.
For potato burger: Toast the buns with butter and spread a little bit of yoghurt mint chutney, followed by some lettuce, and cucumber and place the pattie in between the buns and enjoy!
For tortilla wrap: slightly mash the patties and place them on top of lettuce, and sliced cucumber, with some dipping sauce like sweet chilli sauce or mayonnaise and wrap it tightly.
- You can freeze these patties/cutlets. After shaping them into patties, place them on a tray and freeze them until they are frozen. Take them out and place them in a ziplock bag or airtight container. They stay good for 2-3 months
- Before frying the patties thaw them thoroughly.
- These potato patties stay good for 2- 3 days in the fridge when stored in an airtight box.
Tips and tricks
Boil potatoes until they are just soft and don't overcook them.
After boiling the potatoes drain the water and allow it to stand for a few minutes.
Allow them to cool completely and then mash or grate the potatoes. Don't add the binding agent when the mixture is hot otherwise, it will become sticky.
Add the patties to the pan when the oil is hot enough otherwise they absorb oil and will not be crispy. If this happens add 1 or 2 tablespoons extra bread crumbs to the mixture and combine well.
Adjust the spices according to your taste
For nut-free option skip peanuts
Yes, you can freeze these vegan patties. Place the shaped discs on a tray and keep them in the freezer until they are firm. Remove them and store them in a freezer-safe ziplock bag or container.
Sweet potato patties are served as a snack with green chutney(cilantro dip) and tomato ketchup. You can also serve it with tamarind chutney too.
Yes, You can bake them @ 180 degrees C for 15 minutes. Flip to another side, brush with oil and bake until browned.
If you enjoy this recipe, you may also like
Easy Sweet Potato Patties
- 3 sweet potatoes medium
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon Mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon Roasted cumin powder
- 2 to 3 tablespoon Roasted peanuts roughly crushed
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- ½ cup Gram flour/besan/chickpea flour roasted
- 1 cup Bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoon Corn flour
- Water as required for making slurry
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves
- 2 to 3 tablespoon oil for shallow frying
Boiling the potatoes in Instant pot Method:
- Place the potatoes on a trivet, add 2 cups of water to the pot and pressure cook for 5-6 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally. Remove the skin and use it.
- Into a bowl, add the cooled potatoes and mash them using a masher.
- Now add chopped garlic, mixed herbs, cumin powder, black pepper powder and required salt. Mix well.
- Add gram flour/besan in small batches and mix thoroughly without any lumps. Then add roughly crushed roasted peanuts and mix well.
- Now add half of the bread crumbs and mix well.
- Cover and keep the mixture in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
To Make Slurry
- Add corn flour into a small mixing bowl and add required water to make smooth slurry.
- After 15 minutes remove the mixture from the fridge. Line a tray with baking paper and keep aside.
Making the patties
- Grease your palms with oil and divide the mixture into equal parts and make big or small as per your taste. Shape them by flattening in between your palms.
- Dip the shaped disc into the cornflour slurry and then roll it in the remaining bread crumbs. Keep aside on a plate.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining mixture.
- Heat a pan with 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil for shallow frying. Before adding the patties to the pan make sure the oil is hot enough.
- Carefully add the patties to the pan and fry them on medium flame until they turn golden colour on both sides.
- Remove them onto kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve with green chutney or tomato ketchup
Do you love this recipe? If you’ve tried this and liked it, then I love to hear from you all. Give a star rating and let me know in the comments below. Also, tag me in your creations on Instagram @pavaniskitchen as I'd love to see your pictures. Don't forget to use #pavaniskitchen