These Chocolate Cupcakes are soft, moist and delicious! They are very easy to make with just a handful of ingredients. These are perfect for birthday parties or any celebrations.
Ingredients to make chocolate cupcakes
For the sponge
- Self-raising flour- 100grams sifted
- Golden caster sugar-145grams
- Butter-40grams, at room temperature
- Cocoa powder - 20 grams
- Milk - 1 cup
- Large egg -1
- Vanilla extract - ½ tsp
- Instant coffee powder - 1 teaspoon dissolved in 1 teaspoon of hot water
For the frosting
- Butter- 160grams
- Icing sugar - 170grams
- Cocoa powder-15grams
- Plain chocolate,melted and cooled - 200grams
For the sponge:
Preheat the oven to a 160C fan and line a 12-hole tin with cupcake paper cases. Tip the flour, sugar, butter and cocoa powder into a bowl and on a slow speed with a hand blender for one minute, until you achieve a sandy consistency.
2. Gradually pour in half of the milk and beat until just incorporated. Don’t worry if it looks a little messy at this stage – it will come together! In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining milk together with the egg, vanilla extract and coffee. Pour into the batter and beat for a couple of minutes until smooth, scraping down the side of the bowl to catch any unmixed ingredients as you go.
3. Divide the mixture between the 12 paper cases, filling each one up two-thirds full. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the sponge bounces back when prodded with a finger. Leave to cool on a wire rack while you make the frosting.
4. For the frosting: Tip the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder into a hand blender and beat until well combined. Add the cooled chocolate, then beat again for a couple of minutes until light and fluffy.
5. When the sponges have cooled completely, carefully spoon a third of the frosting into a piping bag and use it to decorate the cupcakes. Repeat until you have finished them all.
6. Decorate with mixed sugar balls and enjoy!